Hair Loss & Hair Thinning in Cincinnati
Dr. Amy Brenner MD & Associates helps patients every day to treat their hair loss & hair thinning in Cincinnati.
Hair thinning and loss is common with aging. Over 40% of women report hair loss by age 40, 85% of men by age 50!
“There are many causes of Alopecia, but unfortunately in most cases, the underlying cause is either not identified or due to a genetic predisposition to lose hair as part of the aging process.”
Some of the tools we use to uncover potential causes for hair loss include:
(*= not covered by insurance)
- Hormone Testing (blood and/or saliva*)
- Ferritin (iron storage protein)
- Complete thyroid panel
- Genova Adrenal Testing*
- Spectracell Micronutrient Testing*
However, even with extensive (and expensive) testing, in the vast majority of women we do NOT uncover an underlying cause for hair loss. For this reason, we recommend treating hair loss aggressively and early.
What is PRP Hair Restoration?
The revolutionary PRP Hair Regrowth procedure uses your own Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) injected into the scalp to encourage new hair growth. The application of PRP causes miniaturized hair follicles to become healthier and larger, producing more robust hair growth. Follicular progenitor cells become activated, and PRP is loaded with growth factors that promote rapid development of new blood vessels and localized cell growth.
Effective for both male and female pattern hair loss, PRP Hair Regrowth has also *regrown hair in alopecia areata, eyebrow hypotrichosis and other patient cases with non-hereditary hair loss.
How Does PRP Hair Restoration Work?
The PRP Hair Regrowth treatment takes about 90 minutes to complete. First, a blood sample is obtained which is specially processed to produce the PRP. A local anesthetic is then administered to completely numb the scalp treatment area. The PRP is then administered via a series of injections over the full scalp or in a localized treatment area such as the eyebrows or beard.
The recovery from the procedure is typically uneventful. *Pain is easily managed in most cases with non-narcotic pain relievers such as Ibuprofen. Some mild swelling of the forehead is occasionally seen one to two days after injections. This is normal and will typically resolve in 48 hours. Avoiding vigorous activity is recommended until the swelling is gone. There is no other downtime or noticeable effects of the procedure. Patients can wash their hair normally immediately after the injections.
*New hair growth can be seen as early as two months, but is typically *evident between four to eight months and will continue to improve up to a year after treatment. To date, results have been maintained without additional injections for up two years in many patients, but no long-term data is yet available to conclude that this hair growth is permanent.
What types of conditions respond to the PRP Hair Restoration treatment?
The PRP Hair Restoration technique is a versatile tool in the treatment of hair loss for a number of causes including:
• Male Pattern Hair Loss – especially in the early stages of balding, or anytime there is a lot of miniaturized hair on the scalp
• Female Pattern Hair Loss – at all stages of hair loss
• Hypotrichosis (fine/reduced hairs) of the eyebrows or beard
• Alopecia Areata, Alopecia Totalis
• Metabolic causes of hair loss – iron deficiency and medication induced hair loss
Optional Add-On or Stand Alone Treatments
* Amnion (stem cells) (may be added to any PRP treatment)
* Thermadome Laser Cap (may be added to any PRP treatment or purchased on its own). Cold-laser stimulates stem cells at base of hair follicle to decrease hair shedding. Wear for 20 min 2x weekly, rechargable. https://www.theradome.com/
* Formula 82M* (pharmacy-compounded minoxidil-based prescription Hair Loss Treatment):
- Benefits over OTC minoxidil (Rogaine): less scalp irriation, non-greasy, prescription strength
- Also contains tretinoin (shown to increase absorption of minoxidil 3-fold) and oleanic acid (a natural 5 alpha reductase inhibitor)
- Instructions: 1 mL (or 10 drops) to scalp 2x daily
- Noticeable results require 2-3 months
- Prescription only through MasterPharm
How Can I Improve My Hair Health?
Supplemental Support: these supplements can aid in halting hair loss and improving hair texture/strength:
- Viviscal, 2 caps daily. Physician-strength propietary blend of AminoMar marine complex and nutrients to nourish hair from the inside out, prolonging the anagen (or growing) phase of the hair cycle.
- Biotin, 1 cap daily
- Saw Palmetto 320mg 1 cap daily (blocks conversion of testosterone to DHT)
*Results and patient experience may vary.