Some women experience a roller coaster of mood symptoms like depression, anxiety, irritability, and sadness. Things that can affect or contribute to mood are: lifestyle (think diet, exercise, stress levels, and sleep), hormones, thyroid, vitamin levels, adrenals, and gut health. We feel it is very important to evaluate each of these areas to get the best symptom relief for our patients.
Certainly there are medical conditions that require medications that fall into an anti-depressant or anti-anxiety type category. These medications are best managed by your primary care physician or psychiatrist. However, if you are looking for options of a more natural approach, we would like to discuss that with you.
Supplements that Support Mood
- Omega 3 (fish oil): can cross the blood brain barrier and help modulate your neurotransmitters while also supporting the inflammatory response in your body.
- B Vitamins: can help in production of mood boosting brain chemicals including dopamine.
- Vitamin D: activates genes necessary to release neurotransmitters to help mood.
- Magnesium: research shows that magnesium supports a balanced stress response.
- Adrenal Support: high stress lifestyles cause many ups and downs. Adrenal support helps support a healthy response to stress and cortisol production.
Other Things to Consider
- Repair your gut: lower or eliminate inflammatory foods (gluten, dairy, alcohol), meet with Wellness to discuss dietary changes and supplements appropriate to heal your gut.
- Remove toxic and trigger foods: high sugar or processed food diet can lead to fatigue and irritability. Research shows refined carbs increases depression. Sugary foods, alcohol, caffeine can all trigger hot flashes, night sweats, and mood swings.
- Choose hormone supporting foods: healthy fats (avocados, coconut oil, coconut butter, and olive oil). High quality protein, fiber rich vegetables, leafy greens, Greens supplement.
- Water: approximately half your weight in ounces of water daily.
- Exercise: strive for minimum of 3 hours weekly.
- Mental health: exercise, yoga/meditation to relieve stress, spend time in nature, spend time with loved ones, volunteer, keep a positive attitude or outlook on life.
- Sleep: 7 to 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep.
The best way to get started with a natural treatment is to call our office at 513.770.0787 and schedule an appointment with one of the Medical Providers.