Leaky Gut & Food Sensitivities Treatment in Cincinnati, Ohio
About Leaky Gut.
Leaky Gut is a condition in which the tight junctions of the cellular wall of the digestion system have been compromised. Tight cellular junctions control what passes through the intestinal lining. Without those junctions intact there are now substances that can pass through the lining and into the bloodstream that were not intended. These unwanted substances (foods, toxins, etc.) cause an inflammatory response in the body that can lead to many unwanted symptoms and conditions, as mentioned below.
How do I know if I have Leaky Gut?
If you have any of the following symptoms, you almost certainly have leaky gut and can benefit from treatment:
- Bones: osteopenia, osteoporosis
- Brain: anxiety, depression, brain fog, headaches/migraines
- Digestive System: bloating, constipation, diarrhea, weight loss, fat malabsorption
- Hormones: irregular periods, PMS, perimenopausal or menopausal symptoms
- Immune System: frequent colds, flu, joint pain, muscle pain, autoimmune disorders
- Infections-Gut: parasite, small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO), or yeast overgrowth (candida)
- Metabolism: excess weight, obesity, diabetes, insulin resistance
- Nutrients: iron deficiency/anemia, omega-3 fatty acid deficiency, vitamin deficiencies
- Skin: acne, eczema, rosacea
- Respiratory: asthma, seasonal allergy symptoms, nasal congestion, postnasal drip
What causes Leaky Gut?
- Food sensitivities: Alcohol, dairy, eggs, gluten, GMOs, grains and pseudo-grains, legumes, nightshade vegetables, sugar, artificial ingredients
- Gut infections and imbalances: Parasites, SIBO, yeast overgrowth
- Medications: Acid-blocking medications, antibiotics, birth control pills, NSAIDS, prednisone
- Mycotoxins (toxic mold)
- Radiation / Chemotherapy
- Stress: Physical stress (illness, lack of sleep), emotional stress (family, personal, and work pressures)
Leaky Gut Treatments
Gut healing uses a basic elimination diet and supplemental support. Our Wellness Coach will customize an individual plan for you to 1) Remove digestive irritants and toxins, 2) Replace stomach acid and digestive enzymes if needed 3) Repair gut health via elimination/rotation diet, supplemental support and metabolic detox, and 4) Rebalance through lifestyle changes and mindful eating. The average time for treatment is 4 to 6 months.
It’s important to know the difference between a food sensitivity/intolerance and an actual allergy. A food sensitivity is identified via IgG antibody testing. Symptoms of food sensitivities vary, and a reaction can take anywhere from 1 to 72 hours to present in the form of symptoms. With a blood test we are able to understand the degree of your sensitivity to a food. The goal with this approach is to heal the Leaky Gut so that these foods may be reintroduced into the diet at some point without any adverse reactions.
A food allergy is identified via IgE antibody testing, and the symptoms of an allergy are typically more immediate and severe — sometimes life threatening. A food allergy is considered permanent.
Once you have achieved symptom relief, it’s important to continue clean eating and a healthy lifestyle moving forward to prevent leaky gut from recurring.