Many of us, especially during the summer, notice red or blue blood vessels on the legs, arms, and more that can cause some embarrassment or discomfort. The good news? You don’t have to live with them!
At Amy Brenner, MD & Associates, we offer the most historically effective spider vein treatment, sclerotherapy. Sclerotherapy is a procedure that has been used since the 1930s and involves using a tiny needle to inject an FDA-approved solution (called a “sclerosing agent”) into spider veins.
The solution causes the walls of the bothersome veins to swell, stick together, and seal shut. The spider vein then becomes scar tissue that gets absorbed by nearby tissue and fades. Most patients see the treated veins disappear over 6 weeks to 6 months, depending on how quickly their body disposes of the tissue.
What to expect when you visit Amy Brenner, MD & Associates to treat your spider veins
All patients at Amy Brenner, MD & Associates must first consult with our team so we understand their goals and concerns and to ensure they make a fully informed decision for their health. We will evaluate your general health, examine your spider veins, and discuss your options to create a customized treatment plan for you.
At your consultation, a trained vein specialist will examine your veins to ensure sclerotherapy is the right treatment for you. If we believe your spider veins require the attention of your physician before proceeding with treatment, we will let you know!
When we schedule your appointment for your spider vein treatment in Cincinnati at our office, we will provide you with important pre-treatment instructions.
Generally, we ask that you:
- Avoid taking anti-inflammatory medications like Advil, ibuprofen, or aspirin for at least a week. This includes blood-thinning supplements like Vitamin E, ginkgo biloba, and fish oil.
- Bring or wear comfortable shorts to wear during the treatment and loose-fitting pants to wear home.
- Make sure you have compression stockings for use after your procedure. Your sclerotherapy specialist will provide you with a recommendation for size and pressure.
On the day of your sclerotherapy appointment, we will make sure you are comfortably laying down before beginning the injections. First, we will cleanse the treatment areas. Then, we will use a thin needle to deliver the solution into the appropriate veins. The number of injections we perform will depend on the number and size of veins we treat.
After 15 to 60 minutes of treatment, your sclerotherapy specialist will have you walk with your compression stockings to prevent the formation of blood clots.
We will provide you with important post-treatment instructions to ensure you get the best results from your spider vein treatment.
We ask that you:
- Wear a compression garment continuously for 14 days to maintain compression on the treated vein
- Avoid contact sports, strenuous cardio workouts, or use of leg weights for at least 10 days
- Avoid hot tubs, saunas, warm baths, and sun exposure for at least 3 days
- Excessive sun exposure to prevent hyperpigmentation
Schedule a consultation with our specialists to treat your spider veins today.
At Amy Brenner, MD & Associates, you can feel confident in choosing a provider with experience to perform your spider vein treatments. Our entire staff is dedicated to helping every single patient look and feel their best every day.
Whether you’re a long-time patient of our office or you’re visiting us for the first time, we love sharing our expertise with you to help you make the best decisions for your skincare and wellness needs.
If you have any questions or would like to discover which Cincinnati med spa treatments would work best for you, feel free to book your appointment or simply give us a call to get started!